May 3, 2010

Where Are the Penguins?

Are these sea lions Chilean or Argentinian?

I saw a few animals (sea lions, cormorans, seals) on my boat tour on the Beagle Channel, the sound that separes Argentina from Chile, but no penguins. According to the guide, they are moving up North during winter (Rio? I asked). What´s with penguins nowadays, aren´t they supposed to be polar animals?
Also, I found out that Ushuaia, the self-proclaimed most austral city in the world, is actually only so because of their own definition of city. Puerto Williams, in Chile, is technically more South, but doesn´t qualify as a city according to Argentines: it doesn´t have 10,000 inhabitants, or a night club. It´s true that Ushuaia has a few fun ones.

Oh and I got my passport stamped, not once but 5 times (one guy went a little crazy). These things are like flairs at Applebees, the more and the cheesier, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment