May 22, 2010

Veni, Vedi... Vino

Vineyards and 5000m peaks: this is Mendoza

About 30 minutes from Mendoza is the small town of Maipu. About a dozen wineries are located on a 15 km country road stretch in the middle of the vineyards. This makes it perfect for 'bike & wine', a self-explanatory activity. I met an American couple from Philly at my second winery stop and we finished the day together, eating parrilla in the middle of the vineyards and degustating all sorts of Malbecs (the main variety produced here) but also Cabernet Sauvignons and other types of blends. Although different than I imagined (no rolling hills like in Provence or Bordeaux), the landscape is no less pleasant with the majestic Andes in the background.

My bottom has been sore from biking but I have the impression the way back to the rental place was facilitated by the many glasses of wine I ingurgited during the day. I guess it makes sense since cyclists were using vino as one of the oldest forms of doping in the early days of the Tour de France, stopping to share saucisson and red wine with the fans...




How many drinks did Max have at the moment of this picture? Take a wild guess

No comments:

Post a Comment