July 25, 2010

Caïpirinhas Taste Better Here

A view of Ilha Grande on the way to Lopes Mendes beach

La Costa Verde is the wonderful stretch of Brazilian coast south of Rio de Janeiro, where white sand beaches meet the jungle. I only spent one night in Rio before I could resist the temptation of spending some time in Ilha Grande - and listened to my brother's advice to "go and relax on the beach, drinking Coco Gelados and Caïpirinhas".

Prahia Lopes Mendes, a surf spot and one of the best beaches in Brazil

I cannot write a whole lot about my activities on the island because they mostly consisted of just that: relaxing on the beach, drinking Coco Gelados AND Caïpirinhas. The island is a paradise for relaxation because there are no cars, no ATMs, little human activity (there are only a couple of villages around the island) and the only sounds here are those of the waves and those of the animals living in the jungle (a great combination, they should make recordings of it and sell it as meditation CDs - well actually I'm pretty sure it already exists.)

Sunset on Ilha Grande on the way back to Rio

Unfortunately the end of my trip approaches and I could only stay 3 days on the island in order to be able to visit Rio de Janeiro, even quickly. I recommend Brazil to all beach lovers, because in addition to have beautiful landscapes (and people), the country also has the nicest people on Earth: Brasileiros and Brasileiras are always smiling, friendly and very helpful. This creates the perfect environment for a great, lazy-type of vacations... Oh, and did I mention this is technically winter yet it is still 28 degrees Celcius?

No comments:

Post a Comment